Friday, October 17, 2008

Vintage Preash: Trouble with Upstairs Neighbors

Back when I lived in Oklahoma, a family moved into the apartment directly above mine. The two little kids in that family spent alot of time running and wrestling for hours at a time.

Here are my first series of rants on Preash...it began as a complaint and progressed into borderline stalking.


Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:45 PM - Complaint Box: take your damn kids outside

It's early fall in OKC. It's a sunny 65 or 70 degrees in the evenings. Perfect weather to be outside.

And the kids in the apartment above me are running around inside...every night...from 4 pm to 10 pm.

There used to be a young, single chick who lived above me. I never heard her. Seriously, never. Sometimes I even wondered if she had moved out. Well, she actually did a couple weeks ago. Now a single Indian mother and her 2 kids, a boy who's probably in 2nd grade and a girl who's probably in Kindergarten, have moved in. In a 700 sq. foot 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom apartment. Holy shit.

The kids run around the apartment non-stop. Constant thuds from above. Sometimes stuff in my apartment vibrates. Last night I decided to fight fire with fire. I cranked up my stereo and turned the bass to the max. I think I got the point across. There was silence for about 20 minutes. Then it got crunk again.


"Let's eff with Ryan! Hooray!"

When I was a kid, my mom wouldn't even let my brother and I look at each other inside. As soon as we started to wrestle, she'd scream, "GO OUTSIIIIIDE!". So we would. When we started to wrestle on the lawn, she'd come out there and scream, "STOP IT! STOOOOOP IT!"

These kids need to go play outside. There's a playground in the apartment complex, for Christ's sake! Do something, crappy single mom!

I'll do the stereo bit a few more times, then I guess I'll have to be the snitch neighbor who complains to the management. I've always been on the receiving end of such complaints, never the giver.

Stay tuned!


Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 5:22 PM - Complaint Box: Update on the loud kids upstairs
Several days ago, I complained about the loud little kids in the 1-bedroom apartment above me who run around all day and all night.

Well, I had to snitch. I called apartment management and filed a complaint. Their running from one end of the apartment to the other was rattling my windows and shaking my ceiling. It got quiet for a while, and it hasn't been as bad overall. But they still go buck wild sometimes. It's then when I stand on a dining room chair and throw hammer fists against the ceiling. They usually get the point.


So I'm hoping that they've gotten the point for the most part. The best part is now, on the rare occasion that the kids are playing outside, they get scared when they see me. They saw me as I was leaving the apartment yesterday and immediately ran upstairs. Me mad-dogging them probably had something to do with it, too.



Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:06 PM - Preash: The destined confrontation finally goes down!
One of my very first posts to Preash was "Complaint Box: take your damn kids outside"



Basically, a family is living in the 1-bedroom apartment directly over me. Two little kids, a mom, and (from what I can surmise) the mom's father. The kids run around alot, and it is loud.

I made a formal complaint to the management a few months ago, and since then the noise has been a little bit better.

Tonight, the kids were getting extremely crunk. I banged on the ceiling once, to let them know it was bothersome. An hour later, it was still poppin' upstairs, so I banged again.


Hook 'em.

Then I heard their door open, and people walking downstairs. Oh shizzle, Mac 'bout to drizzle.

A knock. Of course Boone started barking, so I trapped him in the bedroom. Then I opened the door.

It was the mom and the grandfather. He was a short, almost bald Indian man with glasses, probably in his early 60's. She was probably about my height (she was standing on the 1st step, so who knows), with glasses. They were both very nice-looking.

Before I could even say hello, the grandpa pulled back and literally spit in my face.

No, actually he didn't, you dummy.

Grandpa said, very kindly and apologetically, "Sorry to bother, we heard a knocking from below...are we making too much noise or...?" His English wasn't that smooth, but I don't know how to approximate it without being offensive. Basically, he was speaking more with body language than he was with the English language.

I said, "Yes, that was me. I wanted to let you know that it was kinda loud up there..."

All parties, including myself, were very smiley and apologetic and understanding. Until I pulled out my glock.

Didn't fall for that one, huh?

They apologized and then the mom asked, "Is it the voices, or is it the children stomping?"

I said it definitely wasn't voices, it must have been the kids. (I was pulling the "Oh, I didn't know you had kids, I just thought y'all were some rambunctious motherf-ckers" card.)

She said she was sorry and that the kids are shut inside all day on account of the cold weather, and she tells them to "seet down, be quiet...but 5 meenoots later, they arr back up again".

I must reiterate, this was all very light and upbeat, and even a little happy.

So basically, they asked if they could give me the mom's number so I could call her directly whenever it got too loud again (btw - her name is Anuja. [ah-NOO-shah] I was very proud of myself for pronouncing it back to her just as she had said it...I hope they were, too.)

I took down her number and gave them mine. I said, "Here's my number, too. My name is Ryan...I know I probably turn up my stereo too loud from time to time." See, tit for tat.

Click to enlarge

As you can see, I was confused as to whose number would be written down first. Also, my pen hates y's.

In the end, we got to know each other better, commiserated about the cold weather/apartment life, and created a direct connection should problems ever arise in the future.

Also, I gotta give them props for having the balls to come down and confront the unknown, disgruntled neighbor. I would never have the chutzpah. I'd probably just seethe and cut myself to watch me bleed. (That's a joke, mom)

Baby, Anuja were the one from the day I metcha.


BONUS
I found this picture via Google image search while trying to find a more suitable one. It may just be my favorite picture of all time, ever, until the end of time.

giant-baby.jpg - Does it get any better than that!?

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 - 7:26 PM - Preash: Meet the F-ckers


Remember my whole saga with the Indian family of 3 (maybe 4) that lives upstairs and makes way too much noise? (It would benefit you to click here to refresh yourself on all of the characters named.)

Well, while I was sick and sitting around the house, I found myself in a Rear Window-ish mood. I heard Anuja and company going up and down the stairs over and over again and discovered they were moving furniture into their minivan.

I decided this would be a perfect opportunity to snap some candid pics so you Preash fans could put faces to names. Plus, did I mention I was stuck at home and bored and creepy?

So here you go! Click to enlarge.

Here's the little boy carrying on a chair on his head. He's the loudest one. It's good that they make him earn his keep.


Here, Anuja is adjusting the furniture so it will fit in her pimp-ass ride. If you look closely, you can see grandpa in the back of the van pretending he's Gollum in his Misty Mountains cave.


Here's some pics of Anuja and the grandfather figure loading the furniture.






And finally, the grandfather looking especially maniacal.


So is this what you expected them to look like? Neat.

No comments: