Friday, October 17, 2008

Vintage Preash: The Rawlings Family

During the Christmas breaks, whenever my buddies come over to our house in Sugar Land, they always leave saying, "Dude, your mom is awesome." Without fail, she insists on feeding us a huge 5- or 6-dish meal and making sure we get our fill of beer.

Last Christmas she stayed up late with us throwing out pre-created college football trivia questions (with prizes) and playing Rock Band. Watching her belt out "Naaaa-ture iiiiiis a whore" while singing Nirvana is quite a spectacle.

And chicks, after meeting her, always end up saying, "Awwww, I LOVE your mom! She's so cute!"

So, needless to say, my mom is the best. And my dad is great for a laugh, too.

Here are a few Preash moments with my parents.

Thursday, November 7, 2007 - 8:06 PM - My mom: A brief AIM convo

mom (7:00:03 PM): I sent a joke to our meterologist here that I love
mom (7:00:03 PM): she sent me a thank you
Ryan (7:01:28 PM): what was the joke
mom (7:01:49 PM): she was looking for knock knock jokes on Halloween
mom (7:01:54 PM): it was dumb
mom (7:01:58 PM): but she used it
mom (7:02:08 PM): Knock knock
mom (7:02:13 PM): whose there
mom (7:02:17 PM): Manuel
Ryan (7:02:22 PM): wait
mom (7:02:23 PM): Manuel who
Ryan (7:02:27 PM): lemme see if I can guess it
Ryan (7:03:01 PM): man, you'll be sorry if you don't give me some candy?
mom (7:03:09 PM): you looked it up
Ryan (7:03:11 PM): nope
Ryan (7:03:14 PM): is that it?
mom (7:03:17 PM): yes
Ryan (7:03:20 PM): damn I'm good
mom (7:03:26 PM): you looked it up
Ryan (7:03:30 PM): no I didn't
mom (7:03:31 PM): ok
mom (7:03:38 PM): how about
mom (7:03:49 PM): why did the skeleton refuse to fight
Ryan (7:04:00 PM): hrmm...
Ryan (7:04:29 PM): I give up
mom (7:04:40 PM): he didn't have the guts
Ryan (7:04:45 PM): nice


Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:29 PM - Preash: My mom is proud that I'm smarter than a 5th grader
My mom just called me up because she was watching one of her favorite "programs", Are You Smarter that a 5th Grader?, and needed reassurance that I, indeed, am.



She says, "OK, there's a frat dude on there with a bunch of his frat brothers and the question was, "The song 'America' starts as 'My country 'tis of thee...' What are the next 4 words?"

I answer, "Sweet land of liberty," after which she immediately belts out a hardy, Southern "WOOHOOOOOO!!!!"

"That college education paid off! The frat dude and all of his frat bros got it wrong," she exclaims, relieved.

After admitting I was a genius, she said, "You ARE a genius!" I could hear my dad, in the background, say, "You're a Rawlings." Us Rawlings folk love our U.S. of A., that's for damn sure.



With a tear in her eye, she happily let me return to watching Pageant Place, and she went back to her respective "program".

There's only one song that can due justice to the elated pride I'm feeling right now...

For some reason, this song always reminds me of America's Funniest Home Videos circa Bob Saget


Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:33 PM - Preash: A weekend with my parents


My parents came to Charlotte and we drove to Charleston for the weekend. Here a few quick highlights/lowlights.

  • My dad making up words that don't need to be made up. Ex. "The entrance is over there...but where's the outrance."
  • My mom using the term "for shizzle" in regular conversation when we arrived at Arby's.
  • My dad constantly clearing his throat so loudly that it scares you.
  • My mom constantly sneezing so loudly that it scares you...and annoys passengers on the airplane (my dad said a guy turned around and gave her a look).
  • My mom now walks so slowly that it's literally an effort to walk with her...and stairs, forget about it.
  • 6 hours round trip to Charleston...in the car...with my parents. 6 hours.
  • My mom asking on 5 seperate occasions about my ex-girlfriend, how she's doing, if we'll ever date again, etc.
  • My dad incessantly adjusting my car A/C.
  • Meals. Giant, delicious meals.
  • My mom's impulse buy at the grocery store...American flag bandanas. And her returning them the next day.
  • Being teased by my dad for "getting all fancy" to go eat dinner...then being rejected by the restaurant because he was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt. "We actually don't allow gentlemen without sleeves."
  • My mom crying at dinner because she was "proud of the man" her son has become. She's good at that.

So anyway, it was a good time. Family is great...in moderation. Love you guys.


Note: My brother suggested that I take this down because "it's a little harsh" but I'm leaving it up A) Because it's not harsh at all and B) Because no parents have as good of a sense of humor as mine...they know it comes from a good place. Plus, my brother's a Nancy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did that really happen with your dad? he made fun of you getting dressed and then was turned away? this is awesome.