Thursday, November 29, 2007

Preash: My mom is proud that I'm smarter than a 5th grader

My mom just called me up because she was watching one of her favorite "programs", Are You Smarter that a 5th Grader?, and needed reassurance that I, indeed, am.



She says, "OK, there's a frat dude on there with a bunch of his frat brothers and the question was, "The song 'America' starts as 'My country 'tis of thee...' What are the next 4 words?"

I answer, "Sweet land of liberty," after which she immediately belts out a hardy, Southern "WOOHOOOOOO!!!!"

"That college education paid off! The frat dude and all of his frat bros got it wrong," she exclaims, relieved.

After admitting I was a genius, she said, "You ARE a genius!" I could hear my dad, in the background, say, "You're a Rawlings." Us Rawlings folk love our U.S. of A., that's for damn sure.



With a tear in her eye, she happily let me return to watching Pageant Place, and she went back to her respective "program".

There's only one song that can due justice to the elated pride I'm feeling right now...

For some reason, this song always reminds me of America's Funniest Home Videos circa Bob Saget

No comments: