Tuesday, January 20, 2009

TV/WTF!?: Burger King's Subliminal Sex Joke Commercials

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm looking too deep into this. But last night, while watching Jimmy Kimmel, I witnessed a sequence of events during a commercial break that seemed way too coincidental to be an accident.



So you see father and son burger having "the talk". Then, towards the end of that Burger King commercial, in which father burger gives his son an extra napkin, a freeze from from the proceeding commercial flashes on the screen for a second. "SOUR CREAM....."

I watch a lot of TV, and I work in TV...and never have I seen a commercial interrupt another commercial. It just doesn't happen. Sure, sometimes you'll catch the end of a commercial that has been overlapped by another, but never an interruption right in the middle. Plus, the timing of how the "Whopper Jr. for a buck..." tag comes back in perfectly.

So then we discover where that freeze frame comes from. The proceeding Turbo Tax commercial. OK, so maybe it's all in my head. My pervy, pervy head.

Then I see the next commercial. The white shampoo drops a'flyin'. I didn't see this part, but Tressel said the woman's head looked very phallic in nature (not in those words).

So what does this all mean?

I think it was the clever ad group behind Burger King having a little subliminal sex joke fun. That advertising group, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, is well known for it's cutting edge advertising tactics, employing viral marketing. Remember Subservient Chicken? And, recently, Whopper Sacrifice. And just now, when I was doing a Google image search for some pics of The King to throw into this article, I just discovered that they also did a paparazzi spoof thing with The King and Brooke Burke. See what I mean? Quiet, clever, viral.





So I wouldn't put it past them to figure out a fun way to get people talking, as I am doing now, about the string of commercials with subliminal semen references sprinkled throughout.

But maybe I'm out of my mind. I dunno. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sour cream thing was crazy. i dont know about the following commericials but at least the burger king and turbo tax ones seem to be on purpose.