Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Preash: Boone, Snowboarding and Tim and Eric

Boone freezes when I mute the TV because he thinks the TV is being turned off, which means I'd be getting up and he might get the opportunity to go outside. He's chewing on the only toy I've ever bought him that he hasn't been able to destroy.



It was snowing in Charlotte this morning. Apparenlty the first time it has snowed here since '04. If you are a true, hardcore Preasher, you know that Boone gets crunk in the snow from back in the Oklahoma days. Well, now we have the Charlotte version.



And here are a few stills. Sorry if they bore you, but us Southern folk still get excited about snow.











This weekend, Work Dave, Tressel and myself went to Sugar Mountain to snowboard. I had never been snowboarding. We drove two and half hours northwest with rented boots and boards. We got up there at about 11am. We threw on our equipment and got in line to buy lift tickets.

Some pimple-faced kid creeped up to us asked us if we wanted to buy his lift ticket. He said he came up for a competition in the morning and didn't need it anymore. Being a naturally suspicious, not-trusting-anyone person I am, I immediately expressed my disinterest. As did Tressel. But Work Dave is not one to pass up a deal.

He asked to see it to make sure the date on the pass was legit. It was. He said he wanted to buy it but didn't have cash so I stupidly said I did and gave the creepy kid $10. The kid quickly disappeared and I noticed that the metal ring that connects the pass to your jacket was broken. That metal ring is called the wicket. How do I know it's called a wicket? Because Tressel read the fine print on the back of the pass and it said that the pass is void if the wicket is broken.

Tressel and I agreed that that's the exact reason that we always so no when it comes to situations like that. Hell, I don't even trust someone trying to give me something for free. I thought the lady who gave me her extra sandwich coupon on her way out of Firehouse Subs was a terrorist.

I said I didn't want the broken-wicket pass because I'd have to A) Worry about it falling off the whole day and B) Worry about being called out by workers. Even though he didn't lose a dime, Work Dave was pissed. Probably for falling for such an obvious scam. He was bound and determined to find that kid, but Tressel and I pointed out that the kid's probably already home drinking his cases of Miller High Life that I bought him and giggling to himself about the obvious marks that he was able to rip off so easily.

At one point, Dave thought he saw the kid. He ran up to him and asked him if he sold him the lift ticket. The bewildered stranger who, even from afar looked nothing like kid, said no. And Work Dave walked away.

When we got to the lift, Tressel and I, not even knowing how to strap on the board, were forced by Work Dave to get in the lift line. We both wanted to walk over to the bunny slope to at least learn how to stand on the damn thing, but Work Dave insisted with one of his go-to phrases. "Trust me, dude." Which makes you want to do anything but.

Standing with your one foot strapped to the board and one not is extremely awkward and painful. But that's what you gotta do.

We got to the top of the hill and finally managed to strap our boards on. Tressel and I, snowboarding for the first time, were equally terrible. A lot of falling. Not a lot of actual boarding. I didn't mind the falling. I was very padded up and am somewhat of a masochist, so that part was actually fun for me. But the getting back up with your feet strapped to the board - it's a pain in the ass. Very exhausting.

When we got to the bottom, Tressel and I needed a break and some food. He said he had hit his head quite hard two times and also tweaked his knee. We got a little food, then decided to booze a little and watch the NFL games while Work Dave had his fun on the harder slopes. We went upstairs to a big, smokey bar lodge area where a lot of people were getting quite hammered. I guess it's a combination of the thin air and the exhausting phyical activity. After two beers each, we were feeling quite good. I commented that it was "a fine little how-do-you-do."

We met back up with Work Dave with a renewed sense of courage. We went to the bunny slope and I actually started to show a little potential. I could stand up and balance myself pretty well but when I'd get going too fast, I'd just bail and fall. Again, the falling was kinda fun for me. I didn't mind it too much.

Tressel stayed behind while Work Dave and I went on one more twilight run. My last run when a little better than the first, but not by much.

All in all, it was a pretty good time. I like being out in nature and that was one of the main reasons I decided to go along. On the drive back, Work Dave's window was stuck halfway down and I, being in the back, froze for two hours. Work Dave couldn't believe I was actually cold because it was apparently uncomfortably hot in the front with all those vents. Yeah.

Here's a little, uneventful video I took on the way there.



And finally, guess who just bought tickets to Tim and Eric Awesome Tour 2009 in Charlotte on Feb 4th! I'm so pumped. They usually only do smaller college towns so this came as a wonderful suprise.



BTW, the new season of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! starts Feb. 8th.

No comments: