Monday, December 29, 2008

Preash/List: The 15 Funniest 4-Preasher Videos of 2008

After an exhaustive review (on my mom's slow-as-sh*t laptop) of every video I deemed '.'.'.'.' A 4-Preasher! '.'.'.'.' in 2008, I have narrowed the list down to the 15 funniest.

#15 - Obama Def Comedy Jam - Language NSFW

Why I love it: If you've ever seen the old school Def Comedy Jam on HBO, you recognize that the editors of this video did a pretty good job of capturing the same feel. Plus, the nearly seamless edits between Obama's actual speech and his sound-alike are very impressive.


#14 - Oprah Drunk Dial

Why I love it: Another amazing video from the NYC sketch comedy group Harvard Sailing Team. What really sells the comedy of all of their videos, this one in particular, is the fact that they don't half-ass their acting. Aside from the humor, they are apparently very talented actors as well.

I'm a huge fan of anger and yelling as the basis for comedy (as you'll see again later in the list), so Oprah Drunk Dial naturally appealed to me. Plus, just when you think that's all you're gonna get, they leave you with one last hilarious joke at the end to tie it all together.

Check out the rest of their videos at their YouTube channel.


#13 - Horse Track Streaker

Why I love it: A naked dude competing full force against horses is funny enough. Then you get the payoff. Then, what pushes it up to a 4-Preasher is the simple story behind it, as read on the YouTube summary.

"Some idiot who was at his bachelor party decides to strip and run along the course as the horses are racing."


#12 - Annoying Reporter Microphone Prank

Why I love it: To me, nothing is funnier than reality. And one of the best things you can do to evoke reality comedy is test people's patience. Find out just how much you can get away with before someone says, "Stop!" In this video, an annoying "reporter" tries to get to that point while interviewing a politician and hilarity ensues.


#11 - Dirty Spelling Bee - Language NSFW

Why I love it: Low brow comedy done in a high brow manner. Good acting and well edited.


#10 - Bug in Mouth Brings Out the Street in Reporter - Language NSFW

Why I love it: Guy goes from Bryant Gumble to a disgruntled contestant on I Love New York in under a second. The gagging sound he makes is perfect.


#9 - People's Court Crazy Eyes

Why I love it: One dude single-handedly manages to steal the show with a simple, subtle move. Brilliant.


#8 - The Don of Ghaz Main

Why I love it: What's better than an obese Iraqi kid dancing, beating up other kids and launching rocks at them? The fact that an American soldier caught all of it on tape to share with the world. He couldn't have chosen a more appropriate song. Bonus points for synchronizing Snoop's "Breakin' niggas down like Evander Holyfield" line with the fat kid throwing mad fists.


#7 - The Feminist Bookstore - Picking CDs - Language NSFW

Why I love it: Comedy duo ThunderAnt, consisting of SNL's Fred Armisen and Sleater-Kinney's Carrie Brownstein, had been making funny videos here and there for a while before I finally ran across this one. Fred Armisen is hilarious in this obviously improvised sketch, and Carrie Brownstein's failed attempts to control her laughter and stay in character add a raw, endearing quality.


#6 - Jim Boeheim vs Microphone Feedback

Why I love it: Another one in which a real person's patience is tested. This time it's Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim. The timing of the microphone feedback is so perfect, it almost seems planned.


#5 - Haiti Weather Report

Why I love it:
"Pretty much everywhere, it's gonna be hot. Charlotte."
"Then I don't need a jacket."
"...aheeheeheeheeheehee!"
"Thanks, Arthur."



#4 - Absolut Zach

Why I love it: Improvisation. Odd behavior. Yelling. And three of my comedy heroes.


#3 - The Library Closing Guy - Language NSFW

Why I love it: Well, first thing's first, this guy's upset voice is hilarious. But that wouldn't stand on it's own. It, in combination with what he actually says during the interview, are what put this so high on the list. Every line is a classic.


#2 - Iron Mic - Envy vs. Eli - Language Slightly NSFW

Why I love it: Appears to be a student-produced rap battle TV show. So many hilarious things in this, but I'll just mention a few of my favs. The poor Tim-and-Eric-esque production value...except it wasn't on purpose. Eli's face when the music cuts off and they go to split-screen. Eli's face when he realizes he just cussed. How he tries to convince the judges that he didn't break the no cussing rule because he said "freakin'." Plus the fact that they gave Eli one of the votes kinda tugs at your heart strings a little, doesn't it?


#1 - Chair Malfunction

Why I love it: You couldn't imagine a more simple scenario. Nhlanhla Nene, South African Chairperson of Finance, breaks a chair while being interviewed on TV. But it's the simplicity and severity of the fall that cracks me up every time. I love the warning snap and how it makes him jiggle just a little. I love how he completely disappears from frame. I love this video every time I watch it. (Check out another one of my all-time favorites, here, which is in the same vein.)


Honorable Mentions
- 2008 International Laughter Training
- Self Defense for Dorks
- Anchor vs Reporter
- Jesus Weiner Poopie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Weiner Poopie not in the Top 15? C'mon now.