Friday, October 26, 2007

Complaint Box: A reader is effing annoyed

I got this e-mail this morning.

"I'm liking what you're throwing down on Preash, but (I've had this complaint with ----'s emails as well) I find it highly annoying when people write out "eff". Why not write something is so "f'ing" or "f#cking" gratifying? It looks like you want to effect of dropping a f bomb, but you're trying to be sensitive to others finding it offensive. I'm sure you'll take in to account that this is the opinion of an over-cusser. That said, I think its stupid and I hate it."

First off, this e-mail excited me because someone's actually checking out the blog. For that, I say preash.

Now...I used to type "f'ing". But whenever I read "f'ing", it makes me pause for a second because it kinda looks like fing. However, when I read "effing" the middle of a sentence I immediately know what it means and continue to read the sentence without pause. So I now type "effing" because "f'ing" is hard to read and "f#cking" takes too long with the shift and all. I'm trying to type exactly what I'm thinking and don't want to be slowed down - "effing" comes out quickly.


Only in local TV news will you hear, "Hey, f#ck off, Buzz!" My fav news-cussing clip of all time. Language NSFW

The reason I don't type the real word altogether is so you can read this at work. I don't care about offending the readers. If anything in this blog offends you, I don't want you reading it anyway. I fear that some of the work filters may block readers if cuss words are present.

That being said, I'd have no problem changing if that's what you readers call for. So leave a comment on whether I should keeping "effing", or change to "f'ing" or "f#cking".

No comments: