Monday, June 29, 2009

Preash: Al Roker and Colbie Caillat in Charlotte, Behind the Scenes

So Friday morning, Al Roker was in Charlotte doing some kind of charity thing called Lend a Hand. Here are pics and junk...

We had to be Uptown at 6:45 AM. My alarm clock went off at 5:15. Brutalz. I never sleep well when I know I have to wake up early because I get paranoid that I didn't set the alarm correctly. Also, I can't stand seeing the sunrise because it means either I'm up way too early or I'm up way too late. In either case, I'm pretty miserable.

I met Stevie 3-Times at the station and we took a production van Uptown. Because it was Friday, there was no new Howard Stern to listen to on the way. Bummer.

Click to enlarge

Larry Sprinkle doing a live weather cut-in


Some of the people in this pic (from left to right): Luanne (my boss), myself, Tressel, The Goat, and Stevie 3-Times all in the back row, Work Dave in the front row with his shirt tucked in because he was important that day

Al Roker came out to do his thing. He was about what you'd expect. A little more quiet and boring when the cameras are off. He seemed to be Twittering a lot on his iPhone between cut-ins and stuff. He put lotion on his face and head a couple times before shoots.


Larry doing another live cut-in, this time with Al

Time to get ready for the promo shoot with Larry and Al...


Tressel sitting in for Al, striking a pose


Tressel puts the "bro" in brooding


Makin' things happen


View from the hot seat; Stevie 3-Times and Work Dave prepping, Tressel chunking deuce


3-Times shooting your boy


Work Dave telling the fellas how things are gonna go down


Al acting


Al and Larry finding their characters


Magic caught on tape


Pretending to direct is a lot easier that actual directing


Giving Al a piece of my mind


More shootin'


Luanne talking to Al

A co-worker told me and Stevie 3-Times that there was free food inside. So away we went. As soon as we walked in the building, my keen senses immediately picked up on the back of a hot chick 50 feet away standing in the doorway of a small room. "Hottie with a guitar straight ahead," I told 3-Times. It just so happened that that was the free food room.

We got in there and I immediately recognized the hot chick as singer Colbie Caillat. 3-Times was impressed by my swift recognition. We tried to remain calm as we walked over to the tables to peep the food. But I couldn't really see anything or think because Colbie was just behind us, casually playing her hit "Bubbly" on her guitar while humming the words. We were being serenaded as we surveyed the fruit and breakfast burritos. It was crazy. I found it weird that that was the song she chose to play for no one in particular. I would think she's sick of playing that song by now.

I grabbed a cranberry juice and we bailed. It was mindblowing what we'd just experienced. When we got back outside, I was pissed that I didn't ask for a picture. We found a co-worker, who also happens to be a lesiban, who was more than willing to go back inside with us for round 2. "Jodi's the perfect wingman," 3-Times said.

With Jodi's help, I was able to get the pic with Colbie. I had my hand on her waist. Crunk. She was really nice and down to earth. And tall and hot. Stevie 3-Times is even more shy than me when it comes to this stuff. Jodi and I were like, "Steve, you wanna get a picture, too?"

"No, that's okay," he said. "I'll let you get back to what you're doing."

"I'm just standing here," Colbie said. But Stevie was too afraid. So we left.


Me and Colbie Caillat - I stuck out my chest to appear more manly


Colbie rear view

Later, outside, we got around Colbie again. She took more pics with fans and Luanne. Again, I was like, "You should get a picture, Steve." Luanne and I pretty much had to force him. And wouldn't you know it, as soon as we got back to the station, Steve's pic with Colbie was posted as his Facebook profile pic. He didn't waste a minute getting that up. Bless his little heart.

And now, time for what I do best...hamming it up for the camera.


Larry Sprinkle and myself


Power pose


Looking back over the shoulder, angelic light


"I'm just a little boy."


Just like they do on TV!


When I speak, Charlotte listens


Steadfast. Resolute. Confident.

1 comment:

Hump Day Sports said...

Very cool! You should have asked Al if he watches The Soup!