Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Music: Some Songs I'm Feeling Right Now

Local Natives - "Wide Eyes"
From their debut album, Gorilla Manor. Beautiful vocals. Haunting vibe. Insistant percussion. Just an all-around great song. The first time I heard it, I couldn't get out of my car until it was over. (Also check out "Sun Hands".)


Morning Benders - "Excuses"
This song will make you want to take a special girl to the diner for a chocolate shake, then slow dance with her under the moonlight on a hill overlooking the town. Or something. Pretty throwback to the '50s.


Sleigh Bells - "Ring Ring"
Much less in-your-face that their first single, "Crown on the Ground". That one was an angry beast. This one's a lazy summer.


Middle East - "Blood"
Another ethereal song with pretty vocals. Gradual build.


Nicki Minaj feat. Lil' Wayne - "I Get Crazy"
Nicki Minaj is one of the only female rappers I enjoy listening to. Her delivery is unique and her lyrics can be clever at times. She's fun to listen to because you never know what you're gonna get. Plus she's pretty easy on the eyes. This song's beat is energetic, stripped down and simple, which allows Weezy and Nicki's words to shine. Just ignore Lil' Wayne's "guitar solo".


Travis Porter - "Go Shorty Go"
I know, I know. There's nothing original about this song. And Travis Porter won't be hailed as an expert lyricist anytime soon. But there's just something about this song that attracts me. You can take the boy out of the Dirty South, but you can't take the Dirty South out of the boy.

No comments: