Friday, March 21, 2008

Music: Sara Bareilles - Little Voice

Alright, I'm man enough to admit it.

I can't get enough of this album: Sara Bareilles - Little Voice



Piano-driven pop tracks with a very authentic soulful bluesy sound. Think Sarah McLauchlan meets Bonnie Raitt.

You'll surely recognize her single "Love Song" from the Rhapsody commercial. It's got a modest 6.6 million views on YouTube.

That song by itself is great, but the rest of the tracks on Little Voice are equally impressive.

"Vegas" is the second track, after "Love Song", and is one of my favs. It's simultaneously depressing and uplifting (which would also be an accurate description for the album as a whole). It's gotta be tough to maintain a harmonious balance between those two conflicting emotions in one four-minute song.

"City" is another great track. The first verse starts with just vocals and piano, then it gradually builds with strings, drums, etc.

The last track, "Gravity", is a simple stripped-down ballad about a chick who can't fall out of love with a dude who she knows she needs to let go. WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T WE, SISTAS!?

Those are just a few highlights, but the entire album is great.

The production is immaculate, the writing is honest and it doesn't hurt that she's somewhat hot.



So, ladies, I can't really see any way that you couldn't love Little Voice, unless you just aren't into good music.

And dudes, if you can conjure up the courage to put your balls on the shelf for 49 minutes and listen to a chick sing great songs about failed love and unmet expectations, you will thoroughly enjoy this album.

Now I'm gonna go draw a bubble bath, grab my latest Nicholas Sparks novel, and pour myself a glass of chardonnay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE 'Gravity', but 'City' and 'Vegas' come in a close second. It makes me feel better about myself! :) Thanks for mailing it to me!