Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Preash: Not-so-liveblog of the Oscars

OK, I realize I'm like 26 hours late posting my comments from the Academy Awards, but I've been busy, OK!? If you don't wanna read 'em, you don't have to.

Oh, and btw, my "big news" is that I got a job with the NBC station in Charlotte, NC. I start four weeks from today.

The reason I couldn't post this weekend is because I was stuck in an airport in either Oklahoma City, Detroit, or Charlotte the whole time.

I have several fun stories about THE LONGEST WEEKEND EVER, which I'll share with you when I have time later this week. (My bagel story already got an incredible reception from Marcy. And I've got a belated DotW!)

OK, back to the Oscars...

7:01 – Guess I’ll start with the red carpet show. Regis is hosting. I hope an aging actress says “f*ck” or the c-word tonight.

7:09 – Just saw Jason Bateman! Wouldn’t it be awesome if they announced rumored Arrested Development tonight!? I wonder if Ron Howard’s in the house…

7:15 – I can’t be the only one who finds Cameron Diaz to be the epitome of a butterface.

7:22 – I haven’t seen all of the movies, but here are my picks for the big 3: There Will Be Blood for best movie, Daniel Day Lewis for best actor, and Ellen Page is my sleeper pick for best actress.

7:27 – Jesus, that pre-show was LAME.

7:31 – That animated opening looked like a Digital Animation major’s senior project.

7:38 – Diablo Cody (Juno) will win for best screenplay.

7:42 – Wouldn’t it be hilarious if a presenter walked up too quickly and too far, and the pop-outta-the-floor mic shot up a Madame’s $20,000 dress or clobbered an auteur in his pretentious balls!?

7:52 – Steve Carrell just said “sh*t”!

7:56 – Damn, Katherine Heigl is a dead-ringer for Marilyn Monroe tonight. She’s nervous…she desperately need a cig.

8:00 – I need to go on a Teebs run…next montage or live song performance.

8:16 – Not a very flattering dress for J-Hud. Looks like she put some of the pounds back on. (PS – I’m not gay.)

8:19 – Not surprised by Javier Bardem winning Best Supporting Actor. The singular shot from No Country that stuck out for me was when he was getting eerily teary-eyed on the phone while talking about his obligation to kill. It was super-creepy and awesome.

Note: I went on the aforementioned Teebs run and the line was RIDICULOUS. As a result, I’m approximating the times for next couple of posts as I catch up on DVR.

8:38 – If you haven’t seen Gone, Baby, Gone yet, you should. Intense! They way they shot the scene in which the drug dealer first takes Casey Affleck’s character to confront the crackhead couple in their house damn near made me sh*t myself. Keeps you guessing.

8:55 – Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill! I guess Will Ferrell was too busy promoting Semi Pro. Wait…!

9:03 – Edith Piaf – La Vie en Rose - the original = one of the most beautiful-sounding songs ever

9:05 – That French chick won best actress. I’m 0 for 1. Great. At least she’s hot. Note to all: Never say, “I’m speechless,” and then continue speaking.

9:19 – Damn, Renee Zellweger’s shoulders are more ripped than mine will EVER be.

9:35 – Penelope Cruz is looking way too skinny. She used to be such a juicy piece! Now she’s faking curves with a weird feathery dress.

9:57 – I’m getting bored. This is why people never talk excitedly about the Oscars the next day. It starts off pretty quickly-paced (for an award show, at least) and then just gets slower and slower, until you’re just watching the end because you don’t want to feel like you wasted four hours of a Sunday night.

10:19 – Holy sh*t. Someone kill me. Now I remember why I’ve never watched the Oscars all the way through. This is brutal. I’m so glad I don’t have to be at work ‘til 12:30 in the afternoon tomorrow.

10:25 – The writer of Juno won for Best Screenplay. Easy call. Awesome writing, esp. considering that she was sharing her own life story. Diablo has one-hit-wonder written all over her.

10:34 – Daniel Day Lewis just won Best Actor. If he hadn’t, it’d be nothing short of a travesty.

10:46 – BULLSH*T!!! There Will Be Blood is the better movie than No Country for Old Men! Don’t believe the hype. What a monumental f*ckup!
Here's my original post after seeing both movies back-to-back.

2 comments:

Hump Day Sports said...

Congrats again!

Also, you probably already know but this years Oscars were the lowest rated ever!

Whaddya think of that, Mr. TV!? Also, I thought John Stewart was terrible. Laterz.

Ryan said...

I did know that. Viewership was down 21% from last year.

In an unrelated note, this most recent episode of SNL was the highest rated in 2 years. Booyah.

I know everything. You know that. I just pick and choose what I want to share from my vast array of knowledge.

Also, I'm handsome.