Monday, February 1, 2010

Video/TV: Jersey Shore Cast on The Today Show

Season 2 won't be shot on the Jersey Shore? MTV's going for a fish out of water thing? I dunno about that. Also, it's clearly a little too early for Vinny. Wake up, buddy.



Via Videogum

Now let me add that I'm glad the gang wised up and signed on for a second season. $10k/episode each. No signing bonus. They did the right thing. MTV could have easily replaced any one of them with even more over-the-top (but less genuine) "guidos and guidettes". And if there's one thing you can say about this group, it's that they are who they are. None of them come as phonies (RIP JDS) and that's why we grew to love them. I started watching the show, as all of you did, to laugh at and ridicule these people. But now I can honestly say I care about them and what they do. Weird, right?

It'll be interesting to see what changes in the next season now that they've achieved all the fame and notoriety. The haters on the boardwalk are gonna be hating harder than ever, which means cast security will be beefed up and the cast may come off more as a spectacle when they're out and about than just regular folks in the mix. That could be bad for the "reality" factor. Part of the magic of the first season was that, at times, they were able to just blend in and you felt like the exact same thing you were watching would be going on if the cameras weren't there. Grenades and all. More fame means more high-caliber chicks for the dudes, which just isn't as fun to watch. I have a hunch that nothing will ever come close to the greatness that was season one. But will I still watch obsessively? You bet your ass. I'll be stalking Jersey Shore's whole life.

No comments: