Sunday, September 27, 2009

Music: New Rap Fo Dat Ass

A few jams I'm feeling lately, jerks.

Birdman feat. Drake and Lil Wayne - "Money to Blow"

If only Birdman didn't have a verse right smackdab in the middle of the track, this song would be perfect. Luckily Drake and Weezy are there to bookend Baby. It's like making a bologna sandwich with toasted ciabatta bread. How's that analogy work for you? Oh, ok, well you gotta just put it out there sometimes. You'll never know if you don't try.

Produced by Memphis' Grammy-nominated Drumma Boy. I love the chorus. It borders on the edge of having too much going on, but I find it satisfactory. "And we gon' be alright if we put Drake on every hook. =D "



-

Twista feat. Kanye West - "Alright"

If only Kanye rapped exclusively. No auto-tune singing. No boasting. No swabbery in general. But then he wouldn't be Kanye, would he? He goes back to basics on this track and it ends up sounding great.

A bonus track from Twista's latest album, Categoy F5. A very dancy song produced by Kanye's mentor, the guy who first got him into producing way back in the day - No ID. Alright?



-

Young Problemz feat. Mike Jones and Gucci Mane - "Boi"

Hate "A Milli"? Then you're gonna hate this song. The beat is even more repetitive and simple. Definitely a cheap knockoff. But still, I'm loving it. There's something about the booming 808 and the screwed "Boi I got so many" loop that speaks to the Dirty in me. My H-Town brethren know what I'm talking about.

Young Problemz is an up-and-coming Houston group consisting of 5 members.

(Just listen to the song, ignore the video. It was encoded incorrectly so it's way out of sync.)



-

So there you have it. I do my damndest to keep up with Dirty South rap, but Sirius rap stations, being based out of NY, are very NY biased. And I wouldn't even know what Charlotte stations play because, seriously, who listens to terrestrial radio?

Things are looking up though. I highly recommend an iPhone app called iheart radio.



It's free and streams over 200 Clear Channel radio stations from across the country. So as soon as the Memphis rap station I'm listening to goes to commercial, I can switch over the Norfolk rap station or the Dallas rap station, etc. It switches over quickly and has a lot of neat features.

No comments: