Thursday, January 10, 2008

Music: Placebo - "Running Up That Hill"

I was watching the Real World finale just now when I heard a song that caught my ear. I Googled some of the memorable lyrics and discovered that it's called "Running Up That Hill" by a British band called Placebo (who's apparently been around for a long time).

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, this is the last track on the US version of their latest album, Meds. It's a Kate Bush cover.

I find it to be an awesome song. It sounds very Brand New-ish (circa Deja Entendu) with a slightly electronica twist. Maybe because of the dark vibe, maybe because of the lead singer's whimpering, crackly vocal quality, maybe because of the stripped-down instrumentation, maybe because of the build-up-to-rock-out ratio. Whatever it is, if you like Brand New, I guarantee you'll like this jam.

Lemme know what you think, and feel free to share any Placebo insight.

Colin, Levi, Nolan, this should blow your balls off.

Here's Placebo performing it live (great quality)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work rawlings! I actually caught the RW finale despite maybe seeing two eps during this season. I was immediately drawn to this song (it's awesome) and felt like it sounded familiar, but didn't follow up and research today.

The reason it sounded familiar is because I had heard the title track "Meds" before randomly on yahoo radio. Also a pretty rad song. Def going to look into this CD more now.

Anonymous said...

Check out track #9 on their 2001 album Black Market Music

Ryan said...

I KNEW YOU'D SELL OUT!

Another good jam from that episode is "The Piano Song (Acoustic)" by A Cursive Memory.

You can peep it on their MySpace page - http://www.myspace.com/acursivememory